Author Topic: next season  (Read 91470 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: next season
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
i hope we suck ass again so oscar can get the eff out of here

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
Our point guard play is rough ridin' horrific most nights, unless one of the freshman can jump up and take that position, then we'll be bad again next year. You really can't win without an adequate point guard. Especially not when you're already trying to overcome oscar and the supreme weirdness of his program.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »
Our point guard play is rough ridin' horrific most nights, unless one of the freshman can jump up and take that position, then we'll be bad again next year. You really can't win without an adequate point guard. Especially not when you're already trying to overcome oscar and the supreme weirdness of his program.

Not having anyone with an A:TO ratio better than 2:1 is really bad.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2015, 11:09:46 AM »
My question is will this forum suck again?  I know there is a direct correlation between how well the team does/doesn't do to how well this forum does but this season the posts for the most part were awful. 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
My question is will this forum suck again?  I know there is a direct correlation between how well the team does/doesn't do to how well this forum does but this season the posts for the most part were awful.

I can only control me and I think I made a few good posts this year

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2015, 11:22:27 AM »

Not having anyone with an A:TO ratio better than 2:1 is really bad.

This brings up a really good point that maybe you've weighed in on, but I've been in and out the last few weeks, so I may have missed it.

It seems like in the last 5-6 games, Johnson was a much more adequate point guard as the season progressed.  I say adequate, because he appeared to be much better off of the ball, but his A/TO ratio per 100 did go up a tick.

Do we think he can ever be a PG in the sense that if we treat him as a combo guard paired with Foster, he can do what needs to be done?

I don't pay near as much attention to the rotations as I should during games, mainly because I watch them while looking after my kids, but it feels like if we have Johnson/Foster/Westicles out there, we have some potential for balance on the perimeter on paper, but when they're in the game, it doesn't seem like it equates to points.

As long as Marcus is here, we're going to ultimately find ways to get him on the court as long as he's shooting alright.  But there seems to be a night and day difference between Nigel when he plays on the ball and off of the ball, and I wonder if we're just better off getting a JUCO PG and letting him transfer or do whatever.

catzacker

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »
If it’s a talent issue, oscar is responsible for the talent.  If’s it’s a motivation issue, oscar is responsible for getting his players motivated (or recruiting players that are motivated). 

We have enough talent to not finish with a below .500 record – and we allegedly had a coach who, if he could just recruit the players HE wanted and not those that everyone else wanted him to recruit, wouldn’t have these types of years.

I mean, Jevon is responsible for not sucking – but oscar is responsible for sucky Jevon being out there or not getting someone better to be out there instead.  It’s fair to criticize both, however ultimate responsibility falls entirely on oscar. 

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
I'm not sure why most people think this year's team was really talented. The talent was certainly good enough to win more games, but not better than any Frank team. On par with Wooly's last few years probably (which had adequate talent IMO). And yes, any lack of talent is on oscar ultimately.

Foster is a legit all league caliber player, but had a poor 2nd half of the season. Gip/Nino as HM all league types is about right, but that was their ceiling. Outside of those 2, the other guys just weren't there. Perhaps Johnson, Westicles, or even Edwards could develop to that point (I'm hopeful for it actually), but they weren't at that point this season, and I didn't expect them to be. I'm also hopeful that a couple of the new guys next year will be contributors to go with Foster along with someone else who returns getting much better. I'm also hoping for a healthy enough DJamer which I think could help a lot.

"Really talented" may be a stretch, but I see it as such:

Foster - potential to be the best player in the conference as evidenced by his FR season. When he gets lazy, he's not so good.

Westicles - Showed flashes of being a really special kid this year and was a very pleasant surprise as a freshman. Had high hopes for him this season until he caught the lazy bug from (I assume) Foster.

Johnson - Very servicable point guard that does something many don't... score with consistency.

M. Harris - Not sure what we've really got here because he hasn't been pushed to improve yet.

We really need another athletic big or two and DJamer could be that if he comes back as he was before. 

My main point is, again, this team would've looked infinitely more talented with the scrappiness and work ethic of Frank's teams.

Add in Gip and Nino and there was certainly enough "talent" to be top 3/4 in this conference with the proper work ethic/focus.
bears are fast...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »
If it’s a talent issue, oscar is responsible for the talent.  If’s it’s a motivation issue, oscar is responsible for getting his players motivated (or recruiting players that are motivated). 

We have enough talent to not finish with a below .500 record – and we allegedly had a coach who, if he could just recruit the players HE wanted and not those that everyone else wanted him to recruit, wouldn’t have these types of years.

I mean, Jevon is responsible for not sucking – but oscar is responsible for sucky Jevon being out there or not getting someone better to be out there instead.  It’s fair to criticize both, however ultimate responsibility falls entirely on oscar. 

Agreed.

Offline ltrain

• Combo-Fan
  • go cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »

Well thats not an encouraging set of charts...
Wondering who is running this hot dog stand and seriously considering heading out for tacos.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
next season
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »

You're high. The worse our teams are, the better the bbs'ing

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »
I'm not sure why most people think this year's team was really talented. The talent was certainly good enough to win more games, but not better than any Frank team. On par with Wooly's last few years probably (which had adequate talent IMO). And yes, any lack of talent is on oscar ultimately.

Foster is a legit all league caliber player, but had a poor 2nd half of the season. Gip/Nino as HM all league types is about right, but that was their ceiling. Outside of those 2, the other guys just weren't there. Perhaps Johnson, Westicles, or even Edwards could develop to that point (I'm hopeful for it actually), but they weren't at that point this season, and I didn't expect them to be. I'm also hopeful that a couple of the new guys next year will be contributors to go with Foster along with someone else who returns getting much better. I'm also hoping for a healthy enough DJamer which I think could help a lot.

Foster - potential to be the best player in the conference as evidenced by his FR season. When he gets lazy, he's not so good.

Westicles - Showed flashes of being a really special kid this year and was a very pleasant surprise as a freshman. Had high hopes for him this season until he caught the lazy bug from (I assume) Foster.

Johnson - Very servicable point guard that does something many don't... score with consistency.

M. Harris - Not sure what we've really got here because he hasn't been pushed to improve yet.

We really need another athletic big or two and DJamer could be that if he comes back as he was before. 

My main point is, again, this team would've looked infinitely more talented with the scrappiness and work ethic of Frank's teams.

Add in Gip and Nino and there was certainly enough "talent" to be top 3/4 in this conference with the proper work ethic/focus.

Nigel is a terrible back up QB syndrome. He has games were he only plays 8 minutes because he is so terrible. He doesn't penetrate. Does get some straight line drives where he is looking to score. He has great games when he shoots well and gets out in transition. His best ability is his scoring. He is a 2 guard.

Jevon just needs to calm the eff down. Get his head on more straight and improve his shooting one more step and he will be fine. He can be a serviceable pg. Hopefully Deathbite size does hurt him too much, Kid can really shoot. But is a lead guard.

Our guard play yesterday was a dumpster fire, the three guys you expect to score, Marcus, Edwards and Nigel combined made one fg.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »
yep Jevon is just thiiiiiis close I tell you, if the ball rolled/bounced a different way a couple of time this year he would be 2nd team honorable mention all b12 this year

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »

Nigel is a terrible back up QB syndrome. He has games were he only plays 8 minutes because he is so terrible. He doesn't penetrate. Does get some straight line drives where he is looking to score. He has great games when he shoots well and gets out in transition. His best ability is his scoring. He is a 2 guard.

Jevon just needs to calm the eff down. Get his head on more straight and improve his shooting one more step and he will be fine. He can be a serviceable pg. Hopefully Deathbite size does hurt him too much, Kid can really shoot. But is a lead guard.

Our guard play yesterday was a dumpster fire, the three guys you expect to score, Marcus, Edwards and Nigel combined made one fg.

Jevon just needs to go.  I'm not sure why anyone would really think differently at this point.

I, personally, don't expect Edwards to score much.  I think he has some versatility as a sixth man at the 2/3 positions, but he's shown me nothing to believe you can really expect consistent scoring from him.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »
You would think ole oscar would be wary of and know how to spot these lazy/bad attitude players.  I mean they cost him his job at Illinois. 

Maybe he just has the worst luck when it comes to getting tricked by these kids you know? It's not his fault he is so trusting.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2015, 01:04:24 PM »
Remember when we had like super fun exciting players and a kinda crazy but exciting coach and k state basketball was just just that hot shizz to talk about? Man.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »

You're high. The worse our teams are, the better the bbs'ing

Um.. I think that was my point, nob. We weren't very good this year (record wise) and this forum was lame.  Maybe we're all just getting old? 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
this place needs more steve daves and fewer people I've never heard of

catzacker

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
You would think ole oscar would be wary of and know how to spot these lazy/bad attitude players.  I mean they cost him his job at Illinois. 

Maybe he just has the worst luck when it comes to getting tricked by these kids you know? It's not his fault he is so trusting.

It's mind blowing that no one can ask him that question:  why is it that the guys that won't buy in are "your guys".  All we heard about for his first two years or whatever was how, at KSU, oscar would be able to recruit the players he wanted, rather than the ones that people wanted him to recruit (as was the case at Illinois, according to oscar).

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »
Selection Sunday is just basically "Sunday" for me this year.  Sucks.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »

It's mind blowing that no one can ask him that question:  why is it that the guys that won't buy in are "your guys".  All we heard about for his first two years or whatever was how, at KSU, oscar would be able to recruit the players he wanted, rather than the ones that people wanted him to recruit (as was the case at Illinois, according to oscar).

No sports reporter in the heartland has the balls to ask a question like that, nor do any probably remember that he used that excuse in the first place. Our local sports journalists are lazy and timid.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »

No sports reporter in the heartland has the balls to ask a question like that, nor do any probably remember that he used that excuse in the first place. Our local sports journalists are lazy and timid.

Yes, this is the question that needs to be asked. He said himself part of his failure at Illinois was recruiting the wrong kids, failing to coach toughness, and coaching "not to lose". Does he feel this is happening with this team and if not what is different? This doesn't seem hard.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »
steve dave, the more I think about it the less I care. we'll probably suck but be a little better.