Author Topic: The Hearnes Center (now with laundry talk!)  (Read 5410 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
The Hearnes Center (now with laundry talk!)
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:44:49 AM »
Man.  Not to go all "we should totally move back to Ahearn!" on you, but why did they ever close that place?  Dope architecture/layout, super steep, v. loud and hard to win there.  But mainly I just like it because it didn't look like every other arena on the planet.  Who here ever went to a game there?  I regret not doing that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HearnesCenter2.jpg

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:42:04 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: The Hearnes Center
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:51:43 PM »
Code issues would be a nightmare for egress and accessibility. By the time you made that place compliant the capacity would be a joke. Best thing to do is to tear the roof of the OOD, and some suites and have a new roof. The roof would be octagon shaped but could be pitched and have gabled ends like a"filedhouse." Also, use lots of limestone type stuff inside.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »
You're better than this Skinny Benny.   :nono:    Go search the archives of GPC or the Scout board for numerous threads with intelligent discussion on this topic.

"We beat the Soviets in Ahearn!!"

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »
Man.  Not to go all "we should totally move back to Ahearn!" on you, but why did they ever close that place?  Dope architecture/layout, super steep, v. loud and hard to win there.  But mainly I just like it because it didn't look like every other arena on the planet.  Who here ever went to a game there?  I regret not doing that.

I went a couple times - it was a shitty place to watch a game. Cobbled together with obstructed views and crap.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
eff old timey basketball arenas and eff LHC Bill Snyder

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 01:43:33 PM »
I just like the Hearnes Center because it looks cool and looks like one of the stadiums I would have drawn when I was an imaginative 7 year-old drawing stadiums.  :dunno:  Never saw a game there, but you're right, there probably are pretty horrible views.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »
Being hard to win there had much more to do about the teams than it did the arena. Just a "FWIW"
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »
Fieldhouse envy. 

:love:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »
You're better than this Skinny Benny.   :nono:   

I don't even know who I am anymore.   :frown:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »
Man.  Not to go all "we should totally move back to Ahearn!" on you, but why did they ever close that place?  Dope architecture/layout, super steep, v. loud and hard to win there.  But mainly I just like it because it didn't look like every other arena on the planet.  Who here ever went to a game there?  I regret not doing that.

I went to a lot of games at Ahearn, and absolutely loved that place.  ku - KSU games there while Hartman was coach were my most memorable 'Cat basketball memories.  Agree we can't go back.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 07:39:58 PM »
I went to a lot of games at Ahearn, and absolutely loved that place.  ku - KSU games there while Hartman was coach were my most memorable 'Cat basketball memories.  Agree we can't go back.

have you been to any at OOD?

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 06:55:38 AM »
went to the hearnes center i think it was the year frank richards and richie terry were in our backcourt.  only thing i remember about the place was how rediculously high up/steep the nosebleed seats were.  really was an odd design.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »
Griff got us tickets there when he was playing.  Drank everclear the whole ride there and showed up in trim reaper costumes.  Crashed the donor buffet at halftime.  Seemed like a nice place.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »
frank richards and richie terry were in our backcourt. 

LOLOLOLOLOL    :D :D :D :D

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »
went to the hearnes center i think it was the year frank richards and richie terry were in our backcourt.  only thing i remember about the place was how rediculously high up/steep the nosebleed seats were.  really was an odd design.

Gallagher-IBA is steep as crap.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
the year frank richards and richie terry were in our backcourt.

Sheesh.

I think that was the same year Ell Roberson and Eric Hickson were a great backfield duo.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:30:38 AM by ksu_FAN »

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »
Man.  Not to go all "we should totally move back to Ahearn!" on you, but why did they ever close that place?  Dope architecture/layout, super steep, v. loud and hard to win there.  But mainly I just like it because it didn't look like every other arena on the planet.  Who here ever went to a game there?  I regret not doing that.

I have been to a game there.  Very loud.  Awful to get around in (not quite as awful as AFH, but pretty awful). 

IIRC they had what looked like a shot clock in opposing corners of the arena that measured decibels.  Great way to get the crowd going when they can see how good they are doing at being loud. Pretty rough ridin' dope.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »

IIRC they had what looked like a shot clock in opposing corners of the arena that measured decibels.  Great way to get the crowd going when they can see how good they are doing at being loud. Pretty rough ridin' dope.

I remember that and it was dope.  Would not be opposed to just straight ripping off this idea for the OOD.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 01:06:07 AM »
Just looked at it again.  Would be intimidating as crap to be a visiting player there.  steve dave can go right to hell on this one.   :thumbs:

Offline DoDRepeat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 05:47:09 AM »
Went the year we that kid hit like 7 threes. He was from columbia, don't remember his name.. Late part of the wooly era. Harris? Streaky shooter.

We won that game btw. Didn't seem so loud. Typical Missouri environment. Tho iirc correctly they weren't having a very good season.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
Jimmy McKinney?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Hmm...late wooly era...shooter...

Tim Ellis?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 01:07:19 PM »
I misread his post, he's talking about Lance Harris