Author Topic: secret food things of all history thread  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
secret food things of all history thread
« on: February 12, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »
things that you do that most people don't. slightly uncommon to uncommon stuff/things.

when i was in college (ksu cats), i would get hunams (aggieville) and ask for it spicy. i lived close by and after a while they got to know me. i'd walk in and they'd be like oh yeah here is the spicy guy. they would pump it up with crap tons of spice and sometimes i'd almost think it was too much but never did i actually really think it. that was not an option. i was a man. a man that loved spice. anyway, i eventually got to know the spice as hot oil. sweet, sweet, hunams hot oil. i was 21 at the time.

when i eventually moved away from mhk like most of us cat fans do, i would occasionally end up at a hunamesque place and ask for it spicy. i would often have to say and request "hot oil" and describe what i wanted. this was back in the burgeoning food industry of the early 2000's. sometimes they would nail it and get me what i wanted, sometimes they wouldn't have a clue and sometimes they would be like yeah ok and then completely eff it up. i cannot explain the frustration.

this inconsistency caused aggravation and the aggravation lead to innovation. i would go to stores and purchase my own hot oil. cell phones were getting hot. the internet was a thing. surely dillons would have hot oil. boom they did. i took it home. i cooked with it. it sucked. devastation. i gave up. just quit. then i remembered that the occasional extra hunam hot oil to go just looked liked oil with generic hot red peppers in it like you would get at pizza hut or whatever. again, this was 2002ish.

i would attempt the impossible. cheap dillons "chinese" hot oil combined aka "infused" with cheap dillons hot red peppers. this was it. this was gold. a less driven person would have given up but not me and the rest of my life has been approximately 2% better because of it.

share your stories america. this is for you. this is for us. this is for amazing super secret food things!

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: secret food things of all history thread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 09:04:09 PM »
 :bong:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

The Big Train

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:17 PM »
I'm really not sure what I just read :confused:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:12:06 PM »
I'm really not sure what I just read :confused:

i put red pepper flakes in oil, store it in my fridge and then pour it all over chinese food.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:16:41 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 09:22:29 PM »
Can't you just get hunams again since you live in Manhattan?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 09:24:07 PM »
Can't you just get hunams again since you live in Manhattan?

if you think hunams is still hunams, i can't wait to tell you stories about what rockabelly has done to the spicy

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 09:48:25 PM »
I used to live right next to a subway so I went there a lot and anyway long story short I always got extra pickles on my sandwiches and so they got to know me and they always put tons of pickles on but they didn't call me "pickle guy" or anything even though I floated the idea a couple times but then I moved away and now when I go to Subway I have to make sure I tell them extra pickles because they won't know otherwise.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
Rick, what if I told you I have a super good authentic way to make that oil and that it is super easy?

Every Grain Of Rice has it.

Ground korean pepper (can't get authentic schesuan here)
Sesame seeds
Ginger
Canola oil

You can order the peppers on amazon for like 6 dollars and the rest is avail at the grocery store.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
Rick, what if I told you I have a super good authentic way to make that oil and that it is super easy?

Every Grain Of Rice has it.

Ground korean pepper (can't get authentic schesuan here)
Sesame seeds
Ginger
Canola oil

You can order the peppers on amazon for like 6 dollars and the rest is avail at the grocery store.

yeah but me just putting generic crushed red peppers in generic oil and then storing in refrigerator seems the best and most hunamthentic. i just made that word up. also, i basically hacked hunam hot oil which i loved. i mean that's quite the deal and i'd like to see any of you guys/gals post a similar feat. doesn't look like you can.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 10:02:59 PM »
Ok, try heating the oil to like 400, put the peppers in, stir, let it cool down, then store it.  It brings out more heat from the pepper and toasts them a little for more depth.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 10:04:11 PM »
I used to live right next to a subway so I went there a lot and anyway long story short I always got extra pickles on my sandwiches and so they got to know me and they always put tons of pickles on but they didn't call me "pickle guy" or anything even though I floated the idea a couple times but then I moved away and now when I go to Subway I have to make sure I tell them extra pickles because they won't know otherwise.

no offense but if if extra pickels is your idea of a food secret then i think your name must be mickey rooney  :Chirp:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 10:09:26 PM »
In college I would cook ramen, dump the water, put the season pack in, add a tbspn of butter, and enough milk to almost cover the noodles.  Boil until creamy.  It's like ramen Alfredo and fantastic.  My kids love it now.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 10:23:13 PM »

no offense but if if extra pickels is your idea of a food secret then i think your name must be mickey rooney  :Chirp:

Sorry didn't know this was the "judge other people's secret food things" thread. How many Michelin Stars have you been awarded for putting hot sauce on food to make it spicy?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 10:40:41 PM »
Reheat pizza from the fridge on a pizza stone, you could probably use an oven temp cast iron pan in the oven.   I've also heard things about putting it in a dry pan, but can't confirm

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 10:49:41 PM »

Sorry didn't know this was the "judge other people's secret food things" thread. How many Michelin Stars have you been awarded for putting hot sauce on food to make it spicy?

I was hoping you would be all Mickey Rooney that makes no sense and then I would reply yeah just like your pickle story

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 11:34:48 PM »
I dump a shitload of pepper flakes in the water with ramen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 11:48:37 PM »

I was hoping you would be all Mickey Rooney that makes no sense and then I would reply yeah just like your pickle story

Setting up two parters can be tricky.  I've tried and failed many times.  I just assumed Mickey Rooney was known for loving pickles.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 07:14:21 AM »
I have a book called the bible that has every good manhattan restaurant recipe in it but I am completely worthless in the kitchen.  Ironic.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 10:31:21 AM »
I have a book called the bible that has every good manhattan restaurant recipe in it but I am completely worthless in the kitchen.  Ironic.

Give me some examples

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 10:35:04 AM »

Give me some examples

Harry's tomato basil, so long bean dip, lucha guac etc.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »
Bolos' Taters Las cruzes?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »
Also, their Ancho mayo?  Buds cuban?  They get their seasoning and sauces spot on. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »
I had no idea so many adults ate ramen
:adios:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile