Author Topic: 8-10  (Read 15934 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 8-10
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
Such a weird game. Al Freeman has the game of his life. Props to him, he's always been pretty underrated on that roster. But otherwise, they have no Gathers, we're rebounding the hell out of the ball, they're getting in foul trouble in the post, DJamer and Edwards are having career scoring games, yet it never really felt like we were in the game. Just depressing.

I really wish The Flush would play as hard as Dogbite.

On the Wes topic - dude will not be a ball in hand, scoring machine, however much we wish it. Even the play by play guy last night argued that he could've been scoring more. I dunno man, just not seeing it and the fact that he is our leading scorer is a sure sign that this is not an NCAA tourney team.

Dean needs confidence and the weight room.

We were so passive most of the game against the zone. We had a stretch when we cut the lead from 14 to 3 where it was clear we made it a priority to get inside the zone and attack the rim. We shot a ton of free throws during that stretch, then we seemingly went away from that.

We needed Shane Southwell.  How lol is that?  But I knew we would do the Hold the ball and everyone standing around and do nothing thing.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2016, 08:41:45 AM »
I'm not a basketball coach but I don't think the way to break a zone is to pass it 5 times between the same two guards out beyond the 3 point line.  Amazing how ill prepared we can be for the one thing that we know they are going to do.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »

Such a weird game. Al Freeman has the game of his life. Props to him, he's always been pretty underrated on that roster. But otherwise, they have no Gathers, we're rebounding the hell out of the ball, they're getting in foul trouble in the post, DJamer and Edwards are having career scoring games, yet it never really felt like we were in the game. Just depressing.

I really wish The Flush would play as hard as Dogbite.

On the Wes topic - dude will not be a ball in hand, scoring machine, however much we wish it. Even the play by play guy last night argued that he could've been scoring more. I dunno man, just not seeing it and the fact that he is our leading scorer is a sure sign that this is not an NCAA tourney team.

Dean needs confidence and the weight room.

We were so passive most of the game against the zone. We had a stretch when we cut the lead from 14 to 3 where it was clear we made it a priority to get inside the zone and attack the rim. We shot a ton of free throws during that stretch, then we seemingly went away from that.

We needed Shane Southwell.  How lol is that?  But I knew we would do the Hold the ball and everyone standing around and do nothing thing.

That's kind of been the offense all year (with a few exceptions).

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
I find it hard to believe anybody is running an offense with how well we pass the ball out of bounds.  We look like a pickup team at the rec that has never played together.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
I find it hard to believe anybody is running an offense with how well we pass the ball out of bounds.  We look like a pickup team at the rec that has never played together.
I think it's actually a sign of a team that has been coached to run an offense in a rigid and mindless manner.  They are drilled to "pass now" regardless of whether someone is there or not, regardless of it making sense to do so because they are supposed to "pass now".  They are programmed to not improvise or make decisions that aren't explicitly given. 

In other words, its a team that has been coached to rely on routine/drills too much.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2016, 10:02:20 AM »
if the other team plays into your pre-programmed routine then you can be successful, but if the situation often deviates from the expected then it becomes very messy and looks un-coached.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »
I think it's actually a sign of a team that has been coached to run an offense in a rigid and mindless manner.  They are drilled to "pass now" regardless of whether someone is there or not, regardless of it making sense to do so because they are supposed to "pass now".  They are programmed to not improvise or make decisions that aren't explicitly given. 

In other words, its a team that has been coached to rely on routine/drills too much.
See oscar's quote about West Virginia "forcing you to play basketball".

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2016, 10:51:47 AM »

See oscar's quote about West Virginia "forcing you to play basketball".

Good points.

This is where having better players helps. Its nice to think of the concept of having a really coached up team, but the fact is talented players make coaches look good. Its much easier to coach when you have guys that can just flat out go make plays sometimes, inside and outside of the schemes you coach.

Mich said it best in another thread, this team just isn't overly talented. Enough talent to have 2 to 3 more wins? Probably, but those wins come much easier when you have players that are a little bit better.

The thing that stands out on this year's team is having nobody scoring in the upper 20s in points per 100. I don't think any amount of coaching or "Xs and Os" would change that. This team is what it is, and its not a team blessed with many scoring options.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2016, 10:55:31 AM »
before y'all wallow too far into the kstate-zone-krytonite loop, take time to compare the oeff of last night's game to oeffs of other games against top 25ish opponents.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »
before y'all wallow too far into the kstate-zone-krytonite loop, take time to compare the oeff of last night's game to oeffs of other games against top 25ish opponents.

Yeah, it was our best OEFF in a loss.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »

True, nobody is really talking about that fact that this was K-State's worst defensive game of the season.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2016, 11:04:51 AM »

Yeah, it was our best OEFF in a loss.

Rebounding half your misses will do that.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »
True, nobody is really talking about that fact that this was K-State's worst defensive game of the season.

baylor's ball movement was a joy to watch.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2016, 11:40:20 AM »

I have too much bias to appreciate an opponent like that. If I was watching as a neutral observer I probably could do it.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »

They also made some pretty tough shots to pull ahead every time we got some momentum. That is what talented players can do for a team.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »
I'm not a basketball coach but I don't think the way to break a zone is to pass it 5 times between the same two guards out beyond the 3 point line.
that has a lot to do with the big guys in the zone offense. big meat is lost against a zone and often was in the same space as djamer. then he'd reset and by then we're down to 10 on the clock. claws was on the bench most of the game because that dark hair ref hated us.  he's our only big that is really comfortable in a zone offense.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »
Big Meat SHOULD be comfortable. He's a great shooter for a big.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »
It is extremely unlikely we beat Baylor.

kp has kstate favored to beat baylor.  they favor kstate in all the home games except ku (and have ku at just 54%).  i agree with your point about home/road.  i actually think kp probably underestimates the importance of home/road*, although it usually seems like it is a more important factor to kp than it is among fans.

* - may have it about right overall, but i think it is probably underestimated for high major conference games and overestimated on the other end of the spectrum.

baylor's zone will kill us.  also mid-week game against baylor will not get the same crowd we just had.
well i know where im taking my advice from for now on

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »
to be fair, baylor's length does make the high post difficult

dana gets it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1b_demY94Y

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »

Getting half your team in a car wreck will do that
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2016, 02:18:53 PM »

The automobiles did us no favors.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »

The automobiles did us no favors.
nor the timing of the accident, makes our team seem unprepared for such events and we should maybe not have accidents on a tuesday. i could go even farther to say that when you have accidents away from bramlage they seem to be harder then at home. stay safe out there

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2016, 03:17:13 PM »
was it even an accident?

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2016, 03:19:18 PM »

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
Rico gathers want sick he was running into the back of our student athletes and got banged up in the process!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best