Author Topic: Steaks....  (Read 7843 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Steaks....
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2016, 09:02:35 PM »
where are you guys at on the corn vs grass fed debate?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2016, 09:04:17 PM »
I really like steak au poivre

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2016, 09:06:57 PM »

My taste buds enjoy corn fed much more than grass fed. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2016, 09:06:57 PM »
not a big steak fan, feed them garbage

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
I haven't sought out grass fed yet. 

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2016, 09:16:38 PM »

you could make one in an afternoon with $40 worth of parts

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Immersion-Water-Heater-Voltage/dp/B000AXS0UE
http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B008KVCPH2

sure thing, MacGyver

You're going to want that water to circulate for even cooking, chief.
Eh, convection would do a good enough job.  I only posted those links because I had to talk myself out of buying that, today :two_cents:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »
I really like steak au poivre
me too, i'm a pepper lover though

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »
Pepper is great.  Civilisation depends on it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2016, 09:21:56 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B008KVCPH2

sure thing, MacGyver

Eh, convection would do a good enough job.  I only posted those links because I had to talk myself out of buying that, today :two_cents:

that makes sense.  the sous vide machine is only the first part of it, you'll also need something to hold the water (a deep pan works, or a small cooler, but i think it's good to have a dedicated container), a decent food vacuum sealer (bought mine at costco for ~$125), and other stuff to get going.  cookbooks, yada yada.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »
Pepper is great.  Civilisation depends on it.

yes.  i affirm this statement.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2016, 09:39:44 PM »

both are great.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »
for tasting.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2016, 10:32:45 PM »

sure thing, MacGyver

that makes sense.  the sous vide machine is only the first part of it, you'll also need something to hold the water (a deep pan works, or a small cooler, but i think it's good to have a dedicated container), a decent food vacuum sealer (bought mine at costco for ~$125), and other stuff to get going.  cookbooks, yada yada.
FreundinSonntag got me a vacuum sealer for xmas this year, and i have plenty of pots/coolers i could use so i was thinking it might not be that crazy to try out some sous vide cooking.  However, i still couldn't really talk myself into spending that much on a gimmicky new way to make steak.

I'm building a temperature controller for a keezer that im working on, using that first link and i was planning on making the enclosure for that temp controller modular enough that i could also use it with that immersion heater.   I'll snap some picks and let you know how it goes.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2016, 06:26:32 AM »

sure thing, MacGyver

FreundinSonntag got me a vacuum sealer for xmas this year, and i have plenty of pots/coolers i could use so i was thinking it might not be that crazy to try out some sous vide cooking.  However, i still couldn't really talk myself into spending that much on a gimmicky new way to make steak.

I'm building a temperature controller for a keezer that im working on, using that first link and i was planning on making the enclosure for that temp controller modular enough that i could also use it with that immersion heater.   I'll snap some picks and let you know how it goes.

Steak is a good thing to make with it, but you get more drastic results on chicken, eggs, veggies, burgers, and longer cook tougher cuts of meat. For Steak, it is a pretty foolproof way of getting a great result, but there are other ways to get there.
:adios:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
I was listening to this one podcast where this girl goes into great depth about grass vs corn, and one aspect I hadn't considered (I'm staunchly corn) is that the leaner meat can carry on some more subtle notes and flavor the leaner it is.  She says after eating grass fed for a while one might actually think corn fed is gross, very iron-y in taste.  And that one begins to think of grass fed more like a fine wine, deeply considering it as they eat, dissecting the flavors, an aware and alive mastication.  I would like to know if you guys have felt the same way?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
Grass fed is for poors
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
Grass fed is for poors
So how does it taste?  :lol:

The Big Train

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
:lol: #blessed

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »
I was listening to this one podcast where this girl goes into great depth about grass vs corn, and one aspect I hadn't considered (I'm staunchly corn) is that the leaner meat can carry on some more subtle notes and flavor the leaner it is.  She says after eating grass fed for a while one might actually think corn fed is gross, very iron-y in taste.  And that one begins to think of grass fed more like a fine wine, deeply considering it as they eat, dissecting the flavors, an aware and alive mastication.  I would like to know if you guys have felt the same way?
I would be interested in what podcast this was.   Do you remember?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2016, 08:40:44 AM »
Grass fed is for poors

Isn't grass fed usually more expensive?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »

I do.  http://fulldrawfulltime.libsyn.com/fdft-012-fueling-the-body-for-the-backcountry  I'm trying to find the minute mark now.  "Great depth" was an exaggeration. 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2016, 08:46:26 AM »
The worst thing about norcal is everything is grass fed beef. It's gross, but the hippies love it.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »

I do.  http://fulldrawfulltime.libsyn.com/fdft-012-fueling-the-body-for-the-backcountry  I'm trying to find the minute mark now.  "Great depth" was an exaggeration.
Thanks
  Not looking to dispute you.  I love cooking podcasts.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »

Thanks

Np, I just realized my fingers typed great depth when it was really only a minute or two of discussion on this precise topic, and 99% of the podcast you probably won't be interested in.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:22 AM »

Thanks

Np, I just realized my fingers typed great depth when it was really only a minute or two of discussion on this precise topic, and 99% of the podcast you probably won't be interested in.

You could start listening at 16:00.