Author Topic: Gross football coaches you would talk yourself in to  (Read 39396 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Gross football coaches you would talk yourself in to
« Reply #325 on: November 16, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »
Who is on your shortlist, MIR?

Literally anyone who's never been fired
Sean it is!

FWIW, Beilema's lowest recruiting class during his time at arkansas was 28th.

I've never been one pouty about Sean. The fact is we have no idea what kind of head coach he'd be.

College football is littered with bad teams being led by good recruiters, and you know that. This little stat about Arkansas recruiting classes is the biggest indictment of Bert yet.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 16, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »

Sean it is!

I've never been one pouty about Sean. The fact is we have no idea what kind of head coach he'd be.

College football is littered with bad teams being led by good recruiters, and you know that. This little stat about Arkansas recruiting classes is the biggest indictment of Bert yet.
I'm saying that that guy calling him an "average recruiter" is probably off-base.  Bert didn't work out at Arkansas.  No doubt about it.  But that's kind of a shitty job.  Petrino did well there, but it's a tough job.  K-State is an easier spot to win at, in my imo.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 16, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
Arkansas seems like a place that should probably be getting top 30 recruiting classes to me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 16, 2017, 04:20:56 PM »

Sean it is!

I'm saying that that guy calling him an "average recruiter" is probably off-base.  Bert didn't work out at Arkansas.  No doubt about it.  But that's kind of a shitty job.  Petrino did well there, but it's a tough job.  K-State is an easier spot to win at, in my imo.

I don't care if he called him the world's best recruiter, he can't coach. How do you figure it's easier to win at K-State than it is at Arkansas? Is it the four non cons, the getting to play A&M on a neutral field every year, or the unbalanced schedule?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »
How do you figure it's easier to win at K-State than it is at Arkansas? Is it the four non cons, the getting to play A&M on a neutral field every year, or the unbalanced schedule?

I figure it's easier to win at K-State than it is at Arkansas because according to Sagarin, Arkansas' SOS has been significantly tougher than K-State's during Bielema's tenure.

Ark: 21 K-State: 62

Ark: 11 K-State: 39

Ark: 6 K-State: 51

Ark: 4 K-State: 34

Ark: 12 K-State: 34

2012:
Ark: 9 K-State: 14

AVG:

ARK: 10.5 K-State 39

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »
SOS isn't keeping him from being bowl eligible.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 16, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
It's certainly not keeping us from being bowl eligible either.  The question was why I think it's easier to win in Manhattan than Fayetville.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 16, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
I'd take brett in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 16, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »
It's certainly not keeping us from being bowl eligible either.  The question was why I think it's easier to win in Manhattan than Fayetville.

I guess I think it might be easier to win 8 at Arkansas, but easier to win 12 in Manhattan.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 16, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
what if venables leaked this in an effort to get his name on the short list and make beaker and snyder look bad?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 16, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »

Sean it is!

I don't care if he called him the world's best recruiter, he can't coach. How do you figure it's easier to win at K-State than it is at Arkansas? Is it the four non cons, the getting to play A&M on a neutral field every year, or the unbalanced schedule?

And he never had a recruiting class in the top 30 at Wisconsin and won 10 (9.7) games per year for 7 years. So bad recruiting, good coaching there?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 16, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
I mean, in today's landscape, Wisky would've been playing in the Big ten champ game to be in the CFP playoffs 3 of his 7 years there.

And as well as Petrino did at Arky, the best he finished was in a tie 2nd place in the division (3rd or worse the other years). The SEC west has been brutal for awhile now.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 16, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
My perception is that Bill loses a bunch of control as a result of this becoming public.

Final nail, he'll have zero external support to stay. I know I've said before that Taylor wouldn't have the clout to force Snyder to fire Dana and Hayes, I think this changes that.

Snyder has fired one guy that I know of (and certainly no coordinators), and that's only because he was going behind Snyder's back and reporting stuff from practice, etc. to Currie. He is not going to fire anyone from this staff.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
My perception is that Bill loses a bunch of control as a result of this becoming public.

Final nail, he'll have zero external support to stay. I know I've said before that Taylor wouldn't have the clout to force Snyder to fire Dana and Hayes, I think this changes that.

Snyder has fired one guy that I know of (and certainly no coordinators), and that's only because he was going behind Snyder's back and reporting stuff from practice, etc. to Currie. He is not going to fire anyone from this staff.

Oh I'm aware. I didn't think Taylor could even ask before, I think we're at the point where he'll need to insist on it.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 16, 2017, 08:36:19 PM »
And Leavitt as interim would have been great for K-State football and great for Bill IMO. He looks dumb now going out and that is sad to me.

A HCIW made a ton of sense for the situation. Was the best argument in favor of the entire deal.
I'm indifferent on Leavitt as many will be but Bill in his age and health had a clean opportunity to bookend his career with a pretty uncontroversial coach-in-waiting plan and set up for a good final season.  Now his departure is going to be as messy as it was in 2005.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 16, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
KSO talked to McMurphy: https://kstateonline.podbean.com/e/kso-show-mcmurphy-report-november-16-2017/
At first I was like "wtf is kso?" Then I was like "oh, k-state online" then I'm like "wtf is k-state online?" Then I'm like "dunno, but I'll listen tomorrow at work, just need to post in this thread as a reminder"
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »
KSO talked to McMurphy: https://kstateonline.podbean.com/e/kso-show-mcmurphy-report-november-16-2017/

I enjoyed how Rob said the k-state job can be pretty good after Brett had been on and noted the many disadvantages it has(It gets cold in the Winter, omg)
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 16, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »
And Leavitt as interim would have been great for K-State football and great for Bill IMO. He looks dumb now going out and that is sad to me.

A HCIW made a ton of sense for the situation. Was the best argument in favor of the entire deal.
I'm indifferent on Leavitt as many will be but Bill in his age and health had a clean opportunity to bookend his career with a pretty uncontroversial coach-in-waiting plan and set up for a good final season.  Now his departure is going to be as messy as it was in 2005.

Sad, but true.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »

I enjoyed how Rob said the k-state job can be pretty good after Brett had been on and noted the many disadvantages it has(It gets cold in the Winter, omg)
I think he made some valid points. But also partially misguided. K-State is a hard job....but that's because coaching is a hard job. Almost anywhere. It's been proven time and time again that even with great advantages, sub-par coaches will get their asses handed to them from lesser schools with better coaches. We can't miff a coaching hire, but neither can Nebraska (his example) or any other school. And as far as Nebraska having a hard time, try not firing two coaches (Pelini, that other guy who's at Ohio somewere) who had reasonable success. And then when you do, don't rough ridin' hire that guy from Oregon State who basically was always a crap coach.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 3gQ@T

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »
McMurphy talked about Nubb being a better job. I have a hard time believing that. (Maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.) We have 2-3 games every year in Texas. That gives us a leg up recruiting the closest hot bed to KS/NE. Now that the NEZ is complete isn't our facilities on par with them as well?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »
McMurphy talked about Nubb being a better job. I have a hard time believing that. (Maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.) We have 2-3 games every year in Texas. That gives us a leg up recruiting the closest hot bed to KS/NE. Now that the NEZ is complete isn't our facilities on par with them as well?

They have a lot more fans than we do and have a pretty easy road to conference championship games if they ever get their crap together.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 17, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »

They have a lot more fans than we do and have a pretty easy road to conference championship games if they ever get their crap together.

Plus they are the biggest sporting thing in the state, the only P5 football school, spend $20 mil more on athletics than K-State, and won 3 NCs in 4 years just 25 years ago.