Author Topic: Gross football coaches you would talk yourself in to  (Read 39098 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Gross football coaches you would talk yourself in to
« Reply #250 on: November 16, 2017, 08:54:37 AM »
I don't really want mangino. But seeing the hawk meltdown if we hired him as coordinator would be epic.
I had a similar thought a few days ago.  "What if we brought on Mangino as OC?"

Then my dad and fellow gE user reminded me of how his tenure at ISU ended and how ugly that got.  No thanks.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 16, 2017, 08:56:28 AM »
No idea why people think Leavitt was so successful at USF. In the 5 years he was in the Big East he had a sub-.500 conference record, and never finished better than t-3rd or ranked in the final AP poll.

I'm sure he could lead us to a couple of 7-6 seasons and maybe a Cactus Bowl win.
Nobody's claiming he turned it into some dynasty.  But he did build a program, completely from nothing, and make them respectable.  In short, he's a very good d-coordinator with solid HC experience.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 16, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
He took a FCS Independent football program to D1 and maintained success. it's kind of a big deal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leavitt

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 16, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
No idea why people think Leavitt was so successful at USF. In the 5 years he was in the Big East he had a sub-.500 conference record, and never finished better than t-3rd or ranked in the final AP poll.

I'm sure he could lead us to a couple of 7-6 seasons and maybe a Cactus Bowl win.
Nobody's claiming he turned it into some dynasty.  But he did build a program, completely from nothing, and make them respectable.  In short, he's a very good d-coordinator with solid HC experience.

his 49th ranked defense is daunting

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »

Up from 126th last year.

His Colorado defense last year was 19th.  This year?  109th. 

Anymore questions, Clams?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
Does anyone know where I can purchase an extra long bodybag?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 16, 2017, 09:32:39 AM »
Aisle 9

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 16, 2017, 09:36:09 AM »
His HC experience was in a talent rich state though which made recruiting easier.  I would be curious what kind of staff he would put together.  I would be scared he would just want another late career money grab.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 16, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »
His HC experience was in a talent rich state though which made recruiting easier.  I would be curious what kind of staff he would put together.  I would be scared he would just want another late career money grab.
I understand that sentiment, particularly in light of the (at least perceived) attitude of much of our current staff, but I'm not very concerned about that with leavitt.

I think he still has plenty of gas in his tank, especially given the passion he's exhibited for K-State.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2017, 09:46:38 AM »

In that sense he was successful. But his program hit a plateau once it entered a power conference. He would have a very low ceiling in the Big 12.

If he wants to come here as our D coordinator that would be fine, but no thanks on him being the HC.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 16, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
i wonder what the back story is behind him putting the out to K-State in his current contract.  i know he came to k-state from Iowa, but he hasn't been at K-State for 22 years, he didn't play here, etc.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
guys Bill is coming back.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »
i wonder what the back story is behind him putting the out to K-State in his current contract.  i know he came to k-state from Iowa, but he hasn't been at K-State for 22 years, he didn't play here, etc.
Doesn't take a lot for EMAW to grab you by the balls and taint. #FAMILY

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »

In that sense he was successful. But his program hit a plateau once it entered a power conference. He would have a very low ceiling in the Big 12.

If he wants to come here as our D coordinator that would be fine, but no thanks on him being the HC.
...Right.

He literally was the first coach of an 1-AA/FCS football team.  Got them to a BCS conference, and then "plateaued" at 8-9 win seasons.  Remind me of Brent's relevant head coaching experience again?

Like, what are we expecting here? 

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 16, 2017, 10:01:24 AM »
i think we're expecting Brent to come in and be the next Bob Stoops, except at K-State and not OU, which seems fair

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »

From what I've heard, there had been convos through the years between Bill and Jim, and also Currie and Jim. Probably just to gauge interest, but he felt he should put it in his contract.

Adding onto that, there have supposedly been zero convos for a while and definitely nothing since the Mustang showed up.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 16, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
Listen, we all love Brent.  He's my first choice.

But the "brent or bust" people need to realize that he's far from a guaranty of success.   He's never been a head coach, and while he's had great success with Dabo at Clemson, his last stint facing Big 12 offenses didn't exactly end well.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »

Up from 126th last year.

His Colorado defense last year was 19th.  This year?  109th. 

Anymore questions, Clams?
he’ll do much better at k state than oregon

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »
Gary barnett

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »
Gary barnett

He is 71 years old.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »
Listen, we all love Brent.  He's my first choice.

But the "brent or bust" people need to realize that he's far from a guaranty of success.   He's never been a head coach, and while he's had great success with Dabo at Clemson, his last stint facing Big 12 offenses didn't exactly end well.
Hey wait, are you talking about when he was co-OC with Brother Mike.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
yeah.. other than it being "fun" to talk about he's coming back for another year

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 16, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »
Gary barnett

This ass-hole hated K-State.  Plus lead a corrupt Colorado team to pure crap hole.  It's not to bright to recruit the first female football player and then cover up for the team raping her.  This guy is a failed idiot.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 16, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
yeah.. other than it being "fun" to talk about he's coming back for another year
The longer he stays, the more gross he gets.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 16, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »

...Right.

He literally was the first coach of an 1-AA/FCS football team.  Got them to a BCS conference, and then "plateaued" at 8-9 win seasons.  Remind me of Brent's relevant head coaching experience again?

Like, what are we expecting here?

Too easy.  If he were a truly good coach he would have taken an FCS team to a BCS bowl using only players recruited from the Four Corners region.