Author Topic: frank vs brad  (Read 10339 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: frank vs brad
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »
i remember a small contingent of posters here wanted antigua after frank left

He was above the burn it down line on SD's coaching search thread you asshat.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »

:drool:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
He only recruited one 4* at USF. Everything was 3 or uner during his time there. I'm sure that will change as an assistant, but still. You would think he could sell Clearwater Beach.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »
if only we could go back and see who he recruited as an assistant

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
Good land for Brad, but Brad did lose his stud recruit.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 05:03:36 PM »
Yeah and that was to Kentucky.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »
Yeah and that was to Kentucky.
I'm sure Cal taught him well.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
I'm not hating. It's a very solid pickup. His recruiting just never carried over as a HC at USF.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2017, 06:19:13 PM »
I'm not hating. It's a very solid pickup. His recruiting just never carried over as a HC at USF.

Probably the best player he coached in 3 years at USF was from Highland Park in Topeka and he left halfway through this year for SMU.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2017, 06:29:01 PM »

Probably the best player he coached in 3 years at USF was from Highland Park in Topeka and he left halfway through this year for SMU.

His faults could be based on not hiring the right assistants on a limited budget. But I wouldn't say he is great by any means.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2017, 03:31:27 AM »
i remember a small contingent of posters here wanted antigua after frank left

If "small" = "Rusty" then yes.

I wanted him.

you're the first one i think of in a free association with the hurricane

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2017, 12:13:01 PM »
I got to hear Brad speak at a Nike coaches clinic this weekend. He was excellent and shared several of the things that are his focus as an offensive coach.

1. Play fast. He said he gives his player the freedom to try to score within the first 7 seconds of the shot clock. They have a ball screen system and he believes the defense can't get set if you truly play fast (and he contends most players don't really want to play fast when they realize how hard you must work to do it) you will get great shots.

2. Get to the third side to score. If they can't get a shot in that first 7 seconds (he said that is the players' time), then its "his time". He talked about how after the defense is set, the offense scores 30% of the time on the first side of the floor. The 2nd side it increases only to 34%. The 3rd side it bumps up to 60%. His offensive system is pretty simple, operating off of ball screens and spacing, and clearly it worked as he had the most efficient offense in the country.

3. Offensive rebound. His goal is 40% of the missed shots. He talked a lot about getting opposite of the rim; he has his staff chart all missed shots and the misses go to the opposite side of the rim 76% (or more) of the time per season he's been a head coach.

4. Free throws. Not only getting there, but making them. He contends that guys just don't shoot them enough, so he has them shoot them. At least 100 a day before practice during the season and in the offseason at least 500 FTs per day. OSU went from 73% to 79% this year. His SFA teams increased from 71% to 75% during his 3 seasons there.

5. Never shoot over a close out. His guys are always instructed to drive if they are ever getting closed out on by a defender.

6. When you scout, find the worst defender and try to exploit them as much as possible. He said most teams focus on the best defenders, but he has always focused on finding the worst one.

He had several other things, but I thought the tenants of his offense was the most interesting.

I missed Bob Huggins speak, but I heard the main point of his trapping full court defense is force opponent's to their weak hand. Seems very middle school or high school, but it still works at that level. Underwood also mentioned that when they go against ball screens, they always try to force opponent's left. He pointed out that even Evans only finished 28% of the time with his left, so if a pro can't finish most other college players can't either. Underwood is a huge advanced stats and analytics guy.

Finally, I head Bob Knight. He was typical Knight, talking about ball fakes and spacing and a lot of the stuff he talked about a lot as a commentator. However, the sad thing is he is clearly in the early stages of dementia or Alzheimer's as he would often get off track and look at his sheet and then repeat verbatim a point he had made earlier in his talk.

In any case, listening to Underwood only made me more ticked that we didn't try to sign him when Frank left or last year. The guys is simply a winner and he will be successful at Illinois. I will be shocked if he isn't. He also sounds a lot like Frank in talking about accountability, helping guys become men, etc. when he talks. Its so refreshing to hear a coach talk like that after putting up with oscar and excuses the last 5 years.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »
I got to hear Brad speak at a Nike coaches clinic this weekend. He was excellent and shared several of the things that are his focus as an offensive coach.

1. Play fast. He said he gives his player the freedom to try to score within the first 7 seconds of the shot clock. They have a ball screen system and he believes the defense can't get set if you truly play fast (and he contends most players don't really want to play fast when they realize how hard you must work to do it) you will get great shots.

2. Get to the third side to score. If they can't get a shot in that first 7 seconds (he said that is the players' time), then its "his time". He talked about how after the defense is set, the offense scores 30% of the time on the first side of the floor. The 2nd side it increases only to 34%. The 3rd side it bumps up to 60%. His offensive system is pretty simple, operating off of ball screens and spacing, and clearly it worked as he had the most efficient offense in the country.

3. Offensive rebound. His goal is 40% of the missed shots. He talked a lot about getting opposite of the rim; he has his staff chart all missed shots and the misses go to the opposite side of the rim 76% (or more) of the time per season he's been a head coach.

4. Free throws. Not only getting there, but making them. He contends that guys just don't shoot them enough, so he has them shoot them. At least 100 a day before practice during the season and in the offseason at least 500 FTs per day. OSU went from 73% to 79% this year. His SFA teams increased from 71% to 75% during his 3 seasons there.

5. Never shoot over a close out. His guys are always instructed to drive if they are ever getting closed out on by a defender.

6. When you scout, find the worst defender and try to exploit them as much as possible. He said most teams focus on the best defenders, but he has always focused on finding the worst one.

He had several other things, but I thought the tenants of his offense was the most interesting.

I missed Bob Huggins speak, but I heard the main point of his trapping full court defense is force opponent's to their weak hand. Seems very middle school or high school, but it still works at that level. Underwood also mentioned that when they go against ball screens, they always try to force opponent's left. He pointed out that even Evans only finished 28% of the time with his left, so if a pro can't finish most other college players can't either. Underwood is a huge advanced stats and analytics guy.

Finally, I head Bob Knight. He was typical Knight, talking about ball fakes and spacing and a lot of the stuff he talked about a lot as a commentator. However, the sad thing is he is clearly in the early stages of dementia or Alzheimer's as he would often get off track and look at his sheet and then repeat verbatim a point he had made earlier in his talk.

In any case, listening to Underwood only made me more ticked that we didn't try to sign him when Frank left or last year. The guys is simply a winner and he will be successful at Illinois. I will be shocked if he isn't. He also sounds a lot like Frank in talking about accountability, helping guys become men, etc. when he talks. Its so refreshing to hear a coach talk like that after putting up with oscar and excuses the last 5 years.
That's really cool

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2017, 12:25:46 PM »
Really enjoyed that recap _fan
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
Avila! i had a friend go to this as well; said the same thing about Knight. rambled on for 20 mins about defensive switching, etc.  :frown:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »
I also heard McDermott. He was good too, but he just showed a bunch of drills, sets against zone defenses, and inbounds plays. They had the players from the college the clinic was at run the drills and several of the coaches used them a lot.

When Knight was showing a few of the drills he playfully slapped one of the guys in the neck, but it was hard enough to be awkward. Also, the players were in black/white practice gear and Knight kept referring to them as the "black guys" and "white guys" meaning the jersey color, but also still awkward.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
Avila! i had a friend go to this as well; said the same thing about Knight. rambled on for 20 mins about defensive switching, etc.  :frown:

Yes, same one.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
Meanwhile oscar is out showing 2* kids his play hard chart

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »
goddamn.  jesus eff goddamn.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »

Shades of Jay Frazier from McPherson. Source->3 years of shagging FT rebounds as a manager. 2 when Brad was there.

Also the last part as well.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »
Didn't see any recaps about defense from our guy Brad.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »

how dare you.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2017, 04:17:23 PM »

They all have a topic, Brad's was on his offensive philosophy.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »
Thanks for the recap _Fan, made my depression about basketball worse, oh well.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2017, 06:32:28 PM »
Thank you _FAN. That 60% conversion rate after switching the side of the ball third time seems crazy high considering when it happens the shot clock is damn near expired.

I also love that note about close out defenders. Not that I had to worry about that when I played but we were taught to always shoot over close out defenders, my coaches were also Iba guys. Driving makes more sense considering the momentum of the defender when closing out.