Author Topic: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not  (Read 135222 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not
« Reply #700 on: March 28, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »
The teal!  :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 28, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »
That team sucked too. The losses of Hatcher and Davis from the previous NCAA season led to lowered expectations, but no one expected to be blown out by Wichita State, then have a string of 11 losses in 12 games, and overall finish the season losing 16 of our last 20 games. Only his last season was worse.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 28, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »
Asbury and Wooly legitimately WANTED to win and be successful, they just did not know this region recruiting-wise and just did not know how to get it done respectively.

Oscar does not want to win and be successful. He wants to simply tread water, take our millions, and retire a wealthy man at our expense. He could have gone into the deep Chicago recruiting alleys to get the talent at Illinois, but he chose not to. He could have very easily aligned himself with an AAU program recruiter like everyone else with a pulse in their program does, but he chooses not to. As long as we allow him to continue to financially rape our donors and program, he will do so.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 28, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »
our basketball arena was outfitted with teal accents and nobody GAF.

I legitimately do not remember the teal accents.  People talk about trying to block horrible memories and it looks like this is an example of where I have suceeded in doing so.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 28, 2017, 02:32:45 PM »
Asbury and Wooly legitimately WANTED to win and be successful, they just did not know this region recruiting-wise and just did not know how to get it done respectively.

Oscar does not want to win and be successful. He wants to simply tread water, take our millions, and retire a wealthy man at our expense. He could have gone into the deep Chicago recruiting alleys to get the talent at Illinois, but he chose not to. He could have very easily aligned himself with an AAU program recruiter like everyone else with a pulse in their program does, but he chooses not to. As long as we allow him to continue to financially rape our donors and program, he will do so.

I think my feelings on oscar are clear, but come on with this stuff. I can understand why you would really hate oscar if you feel that way, but I see no reason to justify any of that. oscar is a way more successful coach than either of those 2 and it really isn't even close.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: March 28, 2017, 02:33:06 PM »
at least asbury ended our contract with LA Gear that he inherited from altman
there were so many embarrassing things about our program back then, we've come a long way when you stop and think about it

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 28, 2017, 02:38:15 PM »
there were so many embarrassing things about our program back then, we've come a long way when you stop and think about it

Yeah, I don't think our younger fans realize how bad it was. LA Gear, oh man.

Also, Asbury/Reebok tried some uniform combos, we wore grey/silver a couple of times and black once or twice as well. It was just that nobody cared or knew about it.

I mean, who wouldn't want to have this sweet jacket now?

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 28, 2017, 02:42:01 PM »
guys, oscar went 5-13 in conference last year

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 28, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »

Are you that guy who always takes it a step too far?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 28, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »

Yeah, I don't think our younger fans realize how bad it was. LA Gear, oh man.

Also, Asbury/Reebok tried some uniform combos, we wore grey/silver a couple of times and black once or twice as well. It was just that nobody cared or knew about it.

I mean, who wouldn't want to have this sweet jacket now?

https://twitter.com/prumfsy/status/834807736684707840

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 28, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »
we didn't have a ticket office and marketing department that did things to promote the product

lies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoGMAyzDeRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQnXtYCf2vE
hey mir, why don't you get that mud off of your face

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 28, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
guys, oscar went 5-13 in conference last year

Yeah, that's hard to forget.

I looked up all the sub .300 conference seasons in the last 30 years. Asbury had 3 in 6 seasons. Wooly had 2 in 6 seasons. Altman had 2 in 4 seasons.

Year   Coach   Wins   Losses   %age
2000   Asbury   2   14   0.125
1997   Asbury   3   13   0.188
1991   Altman   3   11   0.214
1995   Asbury   3   11   0.214
2001   Wooly   4   12   0.250
2003   Wooly   4   12   0.250
2016   Weber   5   13   0.278
1994   Altman   4   10   0.286

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 28, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »

I think my feelings on oscar are clear, but come on with this stuff. I can understand why you would really hate oscar if you feel that way, but I see no reason to justify any of that. oscar is a way more successful coach than either of those 2 and it really isn't even close.

I just described that Oscar is a better coach than the other two, but it's just in the corn-is-better-than-lima-beans sort of manner. Oscar could easily go fight for the talent needed to make that transition to an every-year-NCAA-tournament, and he actively chooses not to. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 28, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
I know the stuff about oscar not wanting to get his hands dirty, etc. but at the end of the day he isn't a great recruiter. He isn't terrible either though, he's brought in decent talent here, good enough to win games. oscar's problem always seems to be the consistency of effort/intensity his teams play with during a season, at least in the last 12 seasons at Illinois/K-State.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 28, 2017, 03:08:40 PM »

Oh man, I totally forgot about Dana Altman. What's that loser up to I wonder?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 28, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure he's coaching Marcus Foster.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 28, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »

coaching at university of Nike

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 28, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »
wooly did a pretty damn good job recruiting. The fact that he got a guy like Hoskins so late in his shitty tenure was pretty remarkable.

oscar does OK, too.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 28, 2017, 03:14:31 PM »
so maybe it's not that tough to recruit to a decent program in the country's best basketball conference

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 28, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »

And there is no way that he doesn't want to win.  You don't go into this (or really, any) profession where competition is key and not care about winning.  Now what he defines as successful, and how he works towards that goal can be debated endlessly. But to say a D-1 coach doesn't want to win is ludicrous. And I am not a fan of his, but the comparisons are not even remotely in the same ballpark.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 28, 2017, 03:40:25 PM »

That LA Gear deal reminds me of all the schools getting duped by Under Armour these days.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 28, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
I know the stuff about oscar not wanting to get his hands dirty, etc. but at the end of the day he isn't a great recruiter. He isn't terrible either though, he's brought in decent talent here, good enough to win games. oscar's problem always seems to be the consistency of effort/intensity his teams play with during a season, at least in the last 12 seasons at Illinois/K-State.

Look how his team preformed relative to their projected Kenpom scores. Look at its g-score ratings on http://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Kansas+St. I don't think it is fair to say it is effort/intensity, one of the main reason that isn't his brand of basketball and it will never measure up to the Huggins coaching tree.

I don't think this team was wildly inconsistent outside of how poor they played at OU. I don't think it is fair to judge a season or team on one game. In total they seemed to be a pretty solid team that just wasn't good enough to make a push where fans wanted them to be in a loaded big 12. They stayed between 26-36 ranking the entire big 12 season and did that with no bench. Not having a bench and being decently young add to a normal amount inconsistency.

I think most of the issues with this team fall under the roster building. Having the roster flip over two years had a negative effect. The team had depth issues. The team had issues with having size, strength and athleticism at the post position. Team had point guard issues with only having Kam.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 28, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »

That LA Gear deal reminds me of all the schools getting duped by Under Armour these days.
:facepalm:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 28, 2017, 07:38:39 PM »
we didn't have a ticket office and marketing department that did things to promote the product

lies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoGMAyzDeRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQnXtYCf2vE
hey mir, why don't you get that mud off of your face

Yes! Those two commercials were the gold standard. As terrible as that era of basketball was I miss those promos. Back then we did a commercial and a poster and nothing else. I used to get so amped for basketball when those commercials started. HELL YES COACH, I'M READY! At least we had a likeable program then :cry:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 28, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »

I just described that Oscar is a better coach than the other two, but it's just in the corn-is-better-than-lima-beans sort of manner. Oscar could easily go fight for the talent needed to make that transition to an every-year-NCAA-tournament, and he actively chooses not to.

Am I crazy or did he recruit Marcus Foster and Westicles?