Author Topic: NHL open thread (lets go ahead & throw international hockey in here too)  (Read 116190 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
omg you think Brendan morrow sucks?  :lol: :lol: yaright
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Avs game  :eek:  #WhyNotUs

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
These playoffs have been spectacular so far. Very enjoyable to watch.

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
One thing I don't like is how they have to push and fight after every little thing. Is that a short man syndrome deal or what?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
all the starscats say yeaaaa

:flush:

omg you think Brendan morrow sucks?  :lol: :lol: yaright

Didn't say that, he is a little cheap shotting bitch though

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
that mckinnon (sp?) kid just destroyed the wild

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
that mckinnon (sp?) kid just destroyed the wild

Unfortunately, he is a stud. He's a year or two from being a top 5 player

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
i don't really know much about hockey or which teams are garbage or  individual players or whatever but that was a fun performance to watch

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yea, MacKinnon is a stud. I hate that Colorado got him by being one of the biggest underachievers ever.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Seabrook suspended 3 games. Big loss for Chicago but if Backes misses an extended period of time worse for the Blues.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Three games was a break, that was a despicable hit.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Three games was a break, that was a despicable hit.

I agree, but I wouldn't have been surprised if the league only gave him a game considering their history with teams like Chicago in the playoffs. The worst part of the whole thing is Chicago "fans" are pretty adamantly claiming it was a clean hit and Backes getting taken out simply karma for him being such a dirty player.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
idk, 3 playoff games seems pretty steep because it was his first offense. definitely deserved a suspension and a very dirty hit, but I don't think it was intended to hurt. he hit him high but I think he thought the puck was at backes' feet (no way he could have seen from the angle with the time he had) and hed be closer to the boards. he didn't launch himself, his momentum kind of carried him off but it was still high enough that it should be a suspension.

I would have been fine with 1 game. 3 is too many, imo. maybe 3 regular season games.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
idk, 3 playoff games seems pretty steep because it was his first offense. definitely deserved a suspension and a very dirty hit, but I don't think it was intended to hurt. he hit him high but I think he thought the puck was at backes' feet (no way he could have seen from the angle with the time he had) and hed be closer to the boards. he didn't launch himself, his momentum kind of carried him off but it was still high enough that it should be a suspension.

I would have been fine with 1 game. 3 is too many, imo. maybe 3 regular season games.

Whether the intent was there or not, as a player if you're going to hit high a) you better be damn sure the puck is there, and b) make sure you don't lead into the head. Seabrook had plenty of time to square up and make a good clean hit even if the puck was actually there. Instead he aimed his shoulder and elevated through. If this had been a player with any history of this type of hit before the suspension would probably have been closer to 10-15 games.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Mike Rupp hit Oshie in the head with an elbow late when Oshie actually had the puck at one point. It was Rupp's first offense and he got 4 games.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Mike Rupp hit Oshie in the head with an elbow late when Oshie actually had the puck at one point. It was Rupp's first offense and he got 4 games.

3 playoff games, probably why seabrook got the same. i see your point, but i think rupp's hit was worse than seabrook's, simply because of the time rupp had and that he watched oshie pass the puck.

probably a moot point, because he got 3 playoff games because that was the standard established a week ago.

here they both are-

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How is the Rupp hit worse? Seabrook clearly launches into Backes. Rupp "only" raised his shoulder as Oshie comes by. Seabrook elevated his shoulder and launched himself into Backes after accelerating into the play.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
that seabrook hit was a textbook football "safety targeting receiver, earns needed rest in locker room"-type play if i've ever seen one.  someone should photoshop out the sticks and add a football in the air

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How is the Rupp hit worse? Seabrook clearly launches into Backes. Rupp "only" raised his shoulder as Oshie comes by. Seabrook elevated his shoulder and launched himself into Backes after accelerating into the play.

I found it hilarious on the broadcast when they were trying to say that Seabrook's skates didn't leave the ice.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
also, photoshop polamalu hair onto previous gif

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
backes turned his head into the hit at the last second. rupp watched oshie come around from the back of the net for like 3 seconds, pass the puck, and then hit him in the head.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
i'd like to reiterate that i know nothing about hockey, but was the only thing wrong with the rupp hit that he went high and got him in the head?  that seabrook hit seems way worse in every meaningful way to my untrained eye

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
backes turned his head into the hit at the last second. rupp watched oshie come around from the back of the net for like 3 seconds, pass the puck, and then hit him in the head.

But he didn't launch himself. As Tobias said Seabrook looked like a safety targeting a receiver. I'd even listen to the argument that Rupp's height difference was the biggest reason it was so bad (still raised his shoulder tho), but Seabrook's whole upper body elevates as he comes in.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the circumstances are what make it different for me. oshie was lined up and hit high. backes turned and was stopping to go the other way causing him to lower his shoulders/head. seabrook had a lot less time to change his hit than rupp did. rupp lined oshie up and hit him in the face when he knew oshie was going to be defenseless, seabrook still thought backes had the puck. the seabrook hit was high and he definitely lifted off his feet, but i don't think his intent was to knock backes out, just to give him a good hard check into the boards. rupps hit had nothing to do with hockey. it was a cheap shot...

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Both look clean to me

Pussifacation of america
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite