Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355780 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Farming is not something you can just do with no equipment capital. You also can’t just cut into your RAZER sharp margins by paying other people to do it for you because you own land (other than leasing said land). The only times you can is when you can plant and take care of thousands of acres and just have someone cut it for you. Your dad is adorable and I love him but lease that crap out immediately.

PS. barn lease for alfalfa bales is lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve got something in high demand around here....an old vacant barn

DAMNIT! We’ve got no covered place to store our alfalfa bales! What if we were to PAY some guy who lives miles away to store them there and when we need them we drive our asses all the way over there and get some and drive back here! Holy crap.....are you sure you aren’t some farm genius? Yes, I actually am irl.

I'm reworking my way through this thread and ben ji's dad says YOLO as he made his dream come true with a barn full of bales.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 08:04:04 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In regards to the NINE new cat contractors we brought on last month (feral cats caught in local town) we have caught 6 of them on the game cam located in their home aka the garage. My dad even set up a heat lamp and box with blankets for them to stay in

Where are you getting those cats?  In the alley behind the B-Hive?

Just seeing this and I'm not sure but I have definitely ate/drank coors at the B-Hive between 5-10 times. Its an experience I enjoy every time.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
The house I grew up in had asphalt millings, seemed fine
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They will be OK as long as what you are putting them on isn't horribly rutted up and unstable.  I would wait until it gets hot to put them down though and then wheel roll the living crap out of them with a loaded wheat truck or something like that.
@mikec2w

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
https://twitter.com/RobSomerville1/status/1771681513165205509
I believe I asked earlier about the feasibility of using drones to check on cattle and some peeps responded that you must be in visible contact with the drone to operate legally....

But honestly if you are in BFE and just running it within 5-10 miles ish if the main farm I would imagine your chances of getting in trouble are pretty small?

No idea but I'm definitely interested in the capabilities even if I will never utilize them.

I also assume they would be helpful in flying over row crops to inspect them etc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Here’s the thing, these people have a lot of the most valuable resource on the planet, time. It’s not an industrial efficiency issue. They work 24/7/365. And the irl last thing they want is someone taking something from that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It IS a fun thing for these people to have. My dad has a DJI Mavic, but it’s just a toy.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also made me think of when I was hunting a WIHA honey hole a couple of miles from the cat ranch on opening weekend and saw a small plane circling over me a while back.

When I was leaving an older gentleman with a poney tail pulled up next to me and let me know he was watching me and thanked me for staying on the WIHA land and not going onto his adjacent 200 acres of CRP that is absolutely loaded with pheasants (all the birds I flushed would fly directly into his land) and no hunting signs. He explained that he was "re wilding" his land etc.

I've seen him a couple of times since then either flying over or just driving by.

I bet he would love the crap out of a drone.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here’s the thing, these people have a lot of the most valuable resource on the planet, time. It’s not an industrial efficiency issue. They work 24/7/365. And the irl last thing they want is someone taking something from that.

So they are bored and would rather drive out to a pasture to check on the cows than fly over them with a drone?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

So they are bored and would rather drive out to a pasture to check on the cows than fly over them with a drone?
No idiot. I don’t think cow farming is for you tbh. It wasn’t for me either.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Not sure what to make of that if it's being transmitted by wild birds.  Seem to be enough safe guards around the milk unless they're selling raw out the back parlor door.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/CaseIH5500SoybeanSpecialGrainDrill-8

My beans will be getting planting with this bad boy this year.  1999 model, but never been used.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
my dad has an air drill that if I understand it correctly like fires out seed like one of those battery powered nerf guns that whizz the little balls at you. just shoots the seed right into the ground. he's had it awhile now but it was quite the novelty back when he got it iirc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
you want to know a great seeder fact? it was invented by Jethro Tull. stick that in your rock flute and smoke it.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
My dad brought one around '73 and used it up till he sold the farm.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.