Author Topic: I think I need glasses....  (Read 5421 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: I think I need glasses....
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 09:27:15 PM »
Lots of people with really awful genes exposing themselves ITT.
T's and P's.

Gonna win 'em all!

:cry:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 09:41:40 PM »
Sorry guys, I'm just calling it like clams sees it.

Gonna win 'em all!

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »
T's and P's.

Gonna win 'em all!

Did you ever figure out your vision problems, gramps?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

The Big Train

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 10:52:31 PM »
 :lol:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 11:14:09 PM »

T's and P's.

Gonna win 'em all!

Did you ever figure out your vision problems, gramps?
:cyclist:

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 08:06:45 AM »
I have the 30 day contact that you are supposed to be able to sleep in, but I can't My eyes get all dried out even if I just take a short nap and then I have to take them out and rise them off. I accidentally slept in them a couple nights ago and when I woke up my eyes were all crusty.  :Yuck:

I've thought about the single day ones, but aren't those a bunch more expensive? You are buying 30 times as many contacts.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »
embarrassing, get the surgery immediately

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 09:05:28 AM »
I've thought about getting the surgery, but my eye sight is really not that bad. I am nearsighted and I can function without glasses. I walk around my house without glasses, but I wear them to watch TV. I've even started driving to work and not realized I didn't have my contacts in until I got out of my neighborhood.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
I have the 30 day contact that you are supposed to be able to sleep in, but I can't My eyes get all dried out even if I just take a short nap and then I have to take them out and rise them off. I accidentally slept in them a couple nights ago and when I woke up my eyes were all crusty.  :Yuck:

I've thought about the single day ones, but aren't those a bunch more expensive? You are buying 30 times as many contacts.

I've been wearing the 30 day night/day contacts for 10 years. When I first started wearing them I could wear them nonstop for a couple weeks no problem. As I get older I sleep in them less and less, maybe 3-5 nights in a row now then on to glasses for a couple days.

The key is to use eye drops in the morning to help "re-wet" the contact lenses.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 09:24:37 AM »
Just to keep people confused, sometimes I wear contacts and sometimes I wear glasses. And sometimes I color coordinate my glasses...like yesterday I wore a purple shirt and purple glasses. Today I am wearing a red shirt and red glasses. Monday I wore contacts.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »
I've worn glasses since I was 14.  I had contacts in high school and hated them, and glasses fit my personality, so I roll with it.

Your eye doctor will try to get you to buy glasses in their shop.  If they have a good selection, and you find a pair you like, get them.  If you don't like any of them, and let's be honest, most eye doctors have bad selections in their office, ask for your prescription and go to Lens Crafters.  They have all of the good brands.  Ray Ban, Prada, Oakley, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, etc.  I'm a Ray Ban guy, personally.

Use your insurance.  Check your insurance to see what allowances they give you on frames, lenses, etc.  Wherever you plan on buying glasses, make sure they take your insurance before you go there and waste your time.

Get poly-carbonate lenses.  Full rim is in.  Under no circumstance get the Transitions lenses.  There is no situation where those look cool.  My wife got them for my five year old son, and it drives me crazy.  Every picture with a flash makes him look like Ray Charles for eternity.

The Big Train

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »
I don't remember how much the 30 day ones are but the single days are like a dollar a day if you buy them a box at a time and like $.60 a day if you buy a year supply at a time.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
Under no circumstance get the Transitions lenses.  There is no situation where those look cool.  My wife got them for my five year old son, and it drives me crazy.  Every picture with a flash makes him look like Ray Charles for eternity.

i know that when normal glasses go tinty, it makes you look like a creepster, but the cyborg benefits of transitions are just totally worth it.

transitions4#life

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
I'm 31 and I  have 20/15 vision.  Thank you for this thread because I've been trying to figure out a way to brag post this for some time.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »
I'm 31 and I  have 20/15 vision.  Thank you for this thread because I've been trying to figure out a way to brag post this for some time.

My eye sight actually got better at my last eye check up, so I should have perfect vision pretty soon.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »
I've worn glasses since I was 14.  I had contacts in high school and hated them, and glasses fit my personality, so I roll with it.

Your eye doctor will try to get you to buy glasses in their shop.  If they have a good selection, and you find a pair you like, get them.  If you don't like any of them, and let's be honest, most eye doctors have bad selections in their office, ask for your prescription and go to Lens Crafters.  They have all of the good brands.  Ray Ban, Prada, Oakley, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, etc.  I'm a Ray Ban guy, personally.

Use your insurance.  Check your insurance to see what allowances they give you on frames, lenses, etc.  Wherever you plan on buying glasses, make sure they take your insurance before you go there and waste your time.

Get poly-carbonate lenses.  Full rim is in.  Under no circumstance get the Transitions lenses.  There is no situation where those look cool.  My wife got them for my five year old son, and it drives me crazy.  Every picture with a flash makes him look like Ray Charles for eternity.

Thanks Pan... just back from the ol' eye doctor. The Doc was EMAW... so I just did whatever he said... I got some full rim RayBans that I will only have to wear while reading/working in front of screens.  He said it will take the strain off my eyes for focusing and I should feel much better after work and get rid of the headaches.  No transition lenses... lol.  I pick them up in two weeks... Insurance covered pretty much everything and I was out only 100 bucks for the frames/lenses/anti glare/etc...    Will update in two weeks on how much ribbing I take from all the youngsters. 
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »

Thanks Pan... just back from the ol' eye doctor. The Doc was EMAW... so I just did whatever he said... I got some full rim RayBans that I will only have to wear while reading/working in front of screens.  He said it will take the strain off my eyes for focusing and I should feel much better after work and get rid of the headaches.  No transition lenses... lol.  I pick them up in two weeks... Insurance covered pretty much everything and I was out only 100 bucks for the frames/lenses/anti glare/etc...    Will update in two weeks on how much ribbing I take from all the youngsters.

You won't take much abuse.  I generally get a compliment at least once every week or two on my glasses.  Usually from twenty-somethings (not that I'm fishing for it).

These are the ones I have.  Both my glasses and Wayfarer's are tortoise. 

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/eyeglasses/RX7050-rb7050-black/8053672402520

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/RB2132%20unisex%201-new%20wayfarer%20classic-tortoise/805289048534

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »
T1BW, I reread your original post and it's quite possible you were drinking/drunk/hung over.  Headaches, fatigue, falling asleep easily, double vision.  Those are all common symptoms of over-paking.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 11:17:08 AM »
Just focus.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 11:31:40 AM »
Taking advice from people who wear glasses about whether or not to wear them is like getting diet advice from Fitz.

If you can avoid glasses, do it.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
the best thing about wearing glasses is constant eye protection.

in the 5 years i have been wearing glasses full time i have probably been saved from dozens of horrific eye injuries

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2015, 11:42:22 AM »
Taking advice from people who wear glasses about whether or not to wear them is like getting diet advice from Fitz.

If you can avoid glasses, do it.

Taking advice from someone without glasses would be like taking credit card advice from Wacky instead of Steve Dave.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
I have dry eyes.  The only thing I miss about glasses is the partial breeze barrier. 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »
the best thing about wearing glasses is constant eye protection.

in the 5 years i have been wearing glasses full time i have probably been saved from dozens of horrific eye injuries

They work for some people, and they don't for others.

Like I said, they fit my personality.  So, my full rim glasses generally go well with my constant 5 o'clock shadow and Sci-fi show t-shirt paired with Chuck Taylor's.  It goes well with geek chic.