Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3979651 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25525 on: July 06, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »

It looks like UT prez Bill a Powers is on his way out (forced). Does this have any impact on their decision to remain in the Big 12?

Not really, pissing match between gov perry and Bowers.

What concerns me is the unknown.  Powers seemed to trust Deloss.  A new Pres might choose to "trust" the new AD, and the new AD strikes me as very aggressive and not giving any fucks about the Big 12.  Deloss was "Texas First," but he had a shred of sympathy for the rest of us (I wanted to believe)....Deloss was still a little EMAW in his heart.

I think the trend, if consolidation and conference growth happen, is that conferences will will merge and/or acquire to increase bargaining rights, but will then go back to division play with 9-10 teams per division to facilitate old rivalries and let the playoff handle the rest.

I could see a situation where KU/KSU, OU/OSU, and UT/Tech merge with the PAC.  It would fit with their travel partner/regional network model.  Then you could move Arizona, ASU and either CU or Utah to the Central division.

At some point, you either crap or get off the pot with expansion.  Pods don't work, and how they're setting up the seven team division scheduling doesn't work.  You either go back and contract, or you expand.  We all know that the playoffs will expand, so this would be a natural progression.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25526 on: July 09, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
Looks like Bill Powers was set to be axed but decided to resign instead. http://kxan.com/2014/07/09/bill-powers-stepping-down-as-president-at-the-university-of-texas/

Looks like June of next year.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25527 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
so Slive really shaking things up according to TJ Carpenter

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #25528 on: July 14, 2014, 03:51:05 PM »
BITB just mushed the crap out of some methzu hayseed. It was pretty great.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25529 on: July 14, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
so Slive really shaking things up according to TJ Carpenter

I think he might be the dumbest guy in KC media though

Offline MouseRat

• Mall Santa/Amateur Surgeon
  • Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
  • Pound £*#%ing sand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25530 on: August 06, 2014, 12:05:14 AM »
You know your AD is a super stud when...

Big 12, Bowlsby to stage forum on athletics

The rest of the panel, along with Bowlsby, is: Kansas State athletic director John Currie, Texas athletic director Steve Patterson, West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck, Baylor president Kenneth Star, Maryland journalism professor and former Dallas Morning News columnist Kevin Blackistone, 60 Minutes Sports correspondent Armen Keteyian, New York Times sports columnist Juliet Macur, former Texas running rack Selvin Young and Donna Lopiano, president of a consulting firm that focuses on solving issues in intercollegiate athletics.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12

“It is our goal through these forums to bring some of the brightest minds in sports into the same room to talk about the current state of college athletics,” said Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby.

http://247sports.com/Board/30/Contents/Big-12-to-Host-Forum-Discussing-Issues-With-College-Athletics-29676630
I’ve started to kind of hate people, and it’s not because I have anything against them. It’s just, I enjoy it. It’s recreation.
-Louis C.K.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25531 on: August 06, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
This forum is awesome. This Donna Lopiano lady has rage issues, Armey Keteyian and Jimmy Roberts have issues with generalizations and all three of them are getting their asses handed to them.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25532 on: August 06, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »
also we missed this

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/08/directv_reaches_agreement_to_c.html
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/08/find_out_what_channel_sec_netw.html

look at the SEC hicks sticking their tongues out at UT

According to its website, DirecTV has "no plans" to carry the Longhorn Network, the University of Texas-centric channel launched last year and also owned and operated by ESPN. Many had speculated that the Longhorn Network might have been part of the lengthy negotiations between ESPN and DirecTV.

Offline MouseRat

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
  • Pound £*#%ing sand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25533 on: August 06, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
So based on this information DirectTV now owns all of American Football as we know it?
I’ve started to kind of hate people, and it’s not because I have anything against them. It’s just, I enjoy it. It’s recreation.
-Louis C.K.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25534 on: August 06, 2014, 04:56:56 PM »
So based on this information DirectTV now owns all of American Football as we know it?

Not sure what you mean here?

Offline MouseRat

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
  • Pound £*#%ing sand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25535 on: August 06, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »

Not sure what you mean here?

NFL Sunday Ticket and the SEC Network...
-Louis C.K.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #25536 on: August 06, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
the NFL is also on other carriers and there are other conferences besides the SEC as well
emaw

Offline MouseRat

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
  • Pound £*#%ing sand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25537 on: August 06, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »

the NFL is also on other carriers and there are other conferences besides the SEC as well
:facepalm:
-Louis C.K.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25538 on: August 06, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »

NFL Sunday Ticket is exclusive to Directv, the SEC Network isn't. So I think the point MR was trying to make is that you can see more football on Directv than any other carrier and that is true.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #25539 on: August 06, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »

NFL Sunday Ticket is exclusive to Directv, the SEC Network isn't. So I think the point MR was trying to make is that you can see more football on Directv than any other carrier and that is true.

you did a much better job making that point
emaw

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25540 on: August 06, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »

Although he has an excellent reference for a screen name, MouseRat doesn't seem to do so well with english.

Offline MouseRat

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
  • Pound £*#%ing sand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25541 on: August 06, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »

Although he has an excellent reference for a screen name, MouseRat doesn't seem to do so well with english.

It was my best subject.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:30:31 PM by MouseRat »
-Louis C.K.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25542 on: August 07, 2014, 08:29:44 AM »

nfl sunday ticket isn't even exclusive to direct tv really.  you can get it on your xbox one, ps3, ps4, laptop/desktop, mobile phone. 
i did it for my ps3 and it worked great, no difference from the satellite version.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25543 on: August 07, 2014, 12:40:51 PM »
Pretty good discussions on Twitter right now about autonomy passing.

Main bullet points I see so far are that it will target cost of attendance, extended medical coverage, and redefining contact with agents.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25544 on: August 07, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »

nfl sunday ticket isn't even exclusive to direct tv really.  you can get it on your xbox one, ps3, ps4, laptop/desktop, mobile phone. 
i did it for my ps3 and it worked great, no difference from the satellite version.

Still a directv property, well at least it is now if it wasn't before
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/16/5910149/directv-launching-nfl-sunday-ticket-tv-2014-season

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25545 on: August 12, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
Bump... need more news about the NCAA forum/meeting. T.I.A.  :impatient:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25546 on: August 12, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

I don't think anyone really knows how far the NCAA autonomy decision, plus the O'Bannon ruling, will push the boundary of what we know.

There's a lot to chew through there, and it's happening during a time where there's actual football news to report.

I'm guessing there are a few things that will probably get passed within a year (i.e. cost of attendance scholarship increases), and then there's going to be a lot of other legal rulings based on the O'Bannon result that will further define what the NCAA will be going forward.

Needless to say, within a week's time, the NCAA was basically a Game of Thrones character that got beaten and thrown into a lion pit.  It's still alive, but someone (i.e. schools) is going to decide if it's going to live or not.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25547 on: August 12, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »

I don't think anyone really knows how far the NCAA autonomy decision, plus the O'Bannon ruling, will push the boundary of what we know.

There's a lot to chew through there, and it's happening during a time where there's actual football news to report.

I'm guessing there are a few things that will probably get passed within a year (i.e. cost of attendance scholarship increases), and then there's going to be a lot of other legal rulings based on the O'Bannon result that will further define what the NCAA will be going forward.

Needless to say, within a week's time, the NCAA was basically a Game of Thrones character that got beaten and thrown into a lion pit.  It's still alive, but someone (i.e. schools) is going to decide if it's going to live or not.

I'm sure BYU has already contacted the NCAA and offered to be their champion. As long as the trial by combat isn't on a Sunday, anyway.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25548 on: August 12, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
This is a decent summation that's easy to digest:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddavenport/2014/08/11/legal-cases-are-blowing-up-the-ncaa-big-business-model-why-it-matters/

Honestly, at a high level, I'm in support of this ruling.  It brings the NCAA's inconsistency and absurdity to light, and in my opinion, it coincides with a lot of what the autonomy ruling was trying to accomplish.

In my opinion, what I'd love to see out of this is a much more fair and streamlined NCAA that is less autocratic and more administrative, and for the love of God, much more consistent in their application of the rules.  On top of that, I want to see the students get full cost-of-attendance and further the ability to work, legally, with agents to prevent a lot of that nonsense from going on.

The concept of a trust fund that the NCAA can use to reimburse athletes after their careers expire seems like an interesting idea, but I'd much rather see that go into medical benefits, academic completion programs (for those that do not graduate), financial counseling programs, etc.  I'm not sure handing them cash after graduation is the right idea, but using that money to create a number of programs that may benefit the student athlete, especially medically, seems like a no brainer.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25549 on: August 12, 2014, 09:34:47 PM »
Here's some stuff from Shaggy:

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/10/5985743/ed-obannon-lawsuit-ncaa-college-athletes-paid

The ruling has two major effects:

1 - The NCAA cannot force schools to offer scholarships that cover less than the full cost of attending the university.
 2 - The NCAA cannot stop schools from offering recruits up to $5,000 per year in a trust fund for after their eligibility has expired.

However, there were many restrictions on player compensation that could have changed, but didn't. In somewhat of a surprise decision,Wilken wrote that NCAA rules limiting athletes' ability to receive endorsement money while they're in school is a legitimate means of improving competition. The removal of these limits could have severely limited the NCAA's control and brought more outside influence into the recruiting process, but the organization remained relatively unscathed.

But what was odd about Wilken's ruling is that while she found that the NCAA's current limits on athlete compensation are unreasonable — i.e. the product will not suffer — she did find that further compensation, such as athletes receiving endorsements, could be reasonable because it might change too much if some athletes are making a lot of money.

Another route for the NCAA could be to seek an anti-trust exemption from Congress. Typically organizations need to bargain with a labor union and show some flexibility to be considered for an exemption, so it seems unlikely that Congress would permit the NCAA to stay exactly the same. But this approach does have a backing from some conservative representatives. This was evident during the House hearing on unionization and after Congressional Republicans filed a brief to the National Labor Relations Board opposing the Northwestern football players' unionization decision.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.