Author Topic: Impact of Ticket Sales on Overall Revenue  (Read 21649 times)

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Impact of Ticket Sales on Overall Revenue
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2016, 10:14:45 PM »
1. Kansas State University is a combo Football/Basketball school. There is plenty of money, history and fan support to run both programs at a top 30 level. Any Athletic Director needs to realize this.  If sacrifices need to be made it should be to track, rowing, women's basketball and Stop Building Extra crap We don't need.

2. If Currie is such a great money manager, he shouldn't need to go to the Donors to buyout Weber. We should have plenty of money in the bank. As anybody knows, much of Currie's success is the result of significant financial gains achieved by the Big 12 and the LHC Bill Snyder/Collin Klein Title. 

3. The only reason we overpaid Weber is because of John Currie.  We could be paying him $800,000 to 1,000,000 less. Which program wanted him?

4. Currie should realize that he can get a great price for Underwood. I think $1,000,000 would be entirely appropriate ( I would have lots of bonus money in the deal for tournament participation).  Oklahoma State would pay more but I bet Brad would come here anyway.

Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2016, 10:37:32 PM »
I think $1,000,000 would be entirely appropriate ( I would have lots of bonus money in the deal for tournament participation).  Oklahoma State would pay more but I bet Brad would come here anyway.

What the eff

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2016, 10:40:15 PM »
I think $1,000,000 would be entirely appropriate ( I would have lots of bonus money in the deal for tournament participation).  Oklahoma State would pay more but I bet Brad would come here anyway.

What the eff

Give him oscar's contract at a minimum.  It seems to be what we do.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2016, 10:40:37 PM »
sometimes I think we might not deserve anything good

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
sometimes I think we might not deserve anything good

:lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2016, 11:04:08 PM »
i don't think currie's decision will be about prioritizing the budget over wins, risk aversion, prioritizing football or anything like that.  i think it will just be that he will not fire a coach that he (and many other objective observers) does not perceive as having performed below the standard of the job.

it's not normal to fire someone who is performing adequately just to be able hire someone else who is better.  sports (players, not coaches) is about the only arena i can think of where that would be normal.

he should do it.  he risks being blamed if he fails to do it, but it's definitely asking him to do something unusual.

It's worth noting that a peer, who Currie has called a friend, did exactly this last April.

AndrewVL, stop posting, just read. My God.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2016, 07:56:18 AM »
i don't think currie's decision will be about prioritizing the budget over wins, risk aversion, prioritizing football or anything like that.  i think it will just be that he will not fire a coach that he (and many other objective observers) does not perceive as having performed below the standard of the job.

it's not normal to fire someone who is performing adequately just to be able hire someone else who is better.  sports (players, not coaches) is about the only arena i can think of where that would be normal.

he should do it.  he risks being blamed if he fails to do it, but it's definitely asking him to do something unusual.

It's worth noting that a peer, who Currie has called a friend, did exactly this last April.

Who?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »

Who?

AD at Mississippi State

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2016, 08:41:16 AM »
oscar's salary is a red herring.  The money we pay for the basketball coach is what a school at our level pays a coach.  Driving a hard bargain means that a) We are expecting "value" out of our coaches, not winning and b) the next guy is going to be dealing with a dick of an AD. 

Whether oscar is getting paid 1 or 10 million should hardly be relevant to judging his performance. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »
You really need to go back to the Wooly years (and adjust for inflation probably) to get a good look at what we can expect in the future. That was the last time we had a basketball program as inept as it currently is.

catzacker

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
Didn't Currie/Keady steal oscar from the grasps of the College of Charleston? Where is Eddie Fogler when you need him?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2016, 09:39:10 AM »
You really need to go back to the Wooly years (and adjust for inflation probably) to get a good look at what we can expect in the future. That was the last time we had a basketball program as inept as it currently is.

Honestly, that's way in the future. From a fan support standpoint, we aren't even close to that. Even performance on the court isn't quite there yet, we had the last 2 years basically 7 years in a row to get to the point it was at the end of Wooly.

If Weber is back, I think we probably see attendance dip below 10K for the first time since Frank year 2.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »
When did they change from fans actually in the OOD to tickets disbursed?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2016, 09:41:41 AM »
When did they change from fans actually in the OOD to tickets disbursed?

I think it just became an athletic department standard across the country because it looks better.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2016, 09:47:42 AM »
It's been a very long time,.at least going thx Wooly sef,

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2016, 09:56:22 AM »
Get in here, cap'n crap!

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2016, 10:03:42 AM »

Honestly, that's way in the future. From a fan support standpoint, we aren't even close to that. Even performance on the court isn't quite there yet, we had the last 2 years basically 7 years in a row to get to the point it was at the end of Wooly.

If Weber is back, I think we probably see attendance dip below 10K for the first time since Frank year 2.

Where did you pull those numbers, if you don't mind me asking?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2016, 10:22:43 AM »

Who?

AD at Mississippi State
It could be argued that Ray was not performing adequately.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »
Currie wants to win, he also doesn't want to work with Frank Martin and he legit thought oscar Weber could get the job done.  Which is easier to believe:

Currie is some evil cartoon genius with a secret plan to maximize profits and build himself a nice new office while losing as much as possible

OR

He has a major blind spot with regards to head coaching experience and made a bad, panicked decision after whiffing on his first choice for basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KK like cc, another voice of reason. Keep up the fine work gentleman.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »

Where did you pull those numbers, if you don't mind me asking?

The attendance is from the media guide.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »

I don't think it's far into the future at all. We just finished our second consecutive year of not even competing for a spot in the NCAA tournament and the numbers you displayed show that the beginning of Wooly was just as bad attendance-wise as the end. In fact, the worst attendance year came during Wooly's second season, which was immediately after missing any postseason 2 years in a row for the first time in more than a decade.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »

I don't think it's far into the future at all. We just finished our second consecutive year of not even competing for a spot in the NCAA tournament and the numbers you displayed show that the beginning of Wooly was just as bad attendance-wise as the end. In fact, the worst attendance year came during Wooly's second season, which was immediately after missing any postseason 2 years in a row for the first time in more than a decade.

Any other AD in the country would see where this is going and get ahead of it.  eff you, Currie. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2016, 11:37:08 AM »

Who?

AD at Mississippi State
It could be argued that Ray was not performing adequately.

Yeah neither is oscar. I don't ascribe to sys' line of thought. The more relevant point is that MSU fired Ray only after they got Howland secured.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »
I think its probably safe to say that at best next year's attendance will be 10K and probably somewhere between 9-10K if oscar stays.

If Brad is hired Currie can probably sell out the arena while raising ticket prices.

Correct?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2016, 11:41:50 AM »
I think its probably safe to say that at best next year's attendance will be 10K and probably somewhere between 9-10K if oscar stays.

If Brad is hired Currie can probably sell out the arena while raising ticket prices.

Correct?

With oscar, I'd expect actual attendance to be around 6k. Paid attendance might be around 9k.