Author Topic: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System  (Read 24344 times)

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
The townies should pay for it.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »
How about both factions just help out since both factions will use it?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
monorail or underground lazy river or gtfo.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »
How about both factions just help out since both factions will use it?

It takes about 10 minutes to walk from one corner of K-State's campus to the other. K-State already funds a shuttle that picks people up at KSU stadium and drops them off at campus, and they fund the Aggieville shuttle on game days. It's ridiculous to use kids' tuition money to fund a bus system for the city.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »
Yeah, not sure I understand the argument against a school/townie partnership like basically the way every other college town in the country does it.

Places essentially just like Manhattan in terms of local population and enrollment:

CyRide in Ames - City and university funded.

http://www.cyride.com/index.aspx?page=8

TheBus in Stillwater - City and university funded.

http://www.parking.okstate.edu/

Tiger Transit at Auburn - almost entirely University funded with routes throughout the city.

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/parking_transit/transit/index.php
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »
Yeah, not sure I understand the argument against a school/townie partnership like basically the way every other college town in the country does it.

Places essentially just like Manhattan in terms of local population and enrollment:

CyRide in Ames - City and university funded.

http://www.cyride.com/index.aspx?page=8

TheBus in Stillwater - City and university funded.

http://www.parking.okstate.edu/

Tiger Transit at Auburn - almost entirely University funded with routes throughout the city.

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/parking_transit/transit/index.php

All of those campuses are 2-3 times bigger than K-State's. Non-disabled K-State students have no need for a bus system to take them across campus. The city needs the system much more than the university.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:34:56 AM »
2-3x bigger?  How do you figure?

:dunno:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
2-3x bigger?  How do you figure?

:dunno:

K-State: 668 acres

OSU: 1,489 acres

ISU: 1,984 acres

Auburn: 1,843 acres

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »
Isn't the bus system to get people from off-campus to our 668-acre walkable campus?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »
Isn't the bus system to get people from off-campus to our 668-acre walkable campus?

That would definitely be a benefit, but those other campuses actually need a bus system to get students across campus. The level of university funding they provide is not a fair comparison to what K-State should provide.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »

Probably partly, but the bus would prob also open up parts of town, that was previously deemed too far from campus, to residential and retail development.  Expansion, higher rents, more bars/restaurants, etc all in areas that aren't able to draw many students as is.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »

Probably partly, but the bus would prob also open up parts of town, that was previously deemed too far from campus, to residential and retail development.  Expansion, higher rents, more bars/restaurants, etc all in areas that aren't able to draw many students as is.

Yeah, I meant in part, and in response to Nuts Kicked continually saying students should walk their asses across campus and ignoring the walk from their apartment near Bobby T's or wherever.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »

Yeah, I meant in part, and in response to Nuts Kicked continually saying students should walk their asses across campus and ignoring the walk from their apartment near Bobby T's or wherever.

The university should not be funding off campus city services. They should probably contribute the amount of funding they are currently providing for the Aggieville game day shuttle and the shuttle from KSU stadium to campus. Students would still contribute to funding the system indirectly through higher rents.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
How much does K-State's unwillingness to pay have to do with building the new parking garage?   :horrorsurprise:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »

The university should not be funding off campus city services. They should probably contribute the amount of funding they are currently providing for the Aggieville game day shuttle and the shuttle from KSU stadium to campus. Students would still contribute to funding the system indirectly through higher rents.

Also, a lot of students and faculty will be buying bus passes/fares, assuming it isn't a fully free thing

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »

You mean to tell me that the government can spend money on a money losing service, but still have the service increase the value of property enough to offset the losses from said service. JFC man, we can't have the government going around creating private wealth then asking for some of it back through taxes.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »
Get a bike.

Or buy a parking pass.

Or live closer to everything.

Besides, where would you try and make this bus route go that there would be enough demand to make it worthwhile?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 12:43:32 PM »
Should probably get a bus with an Aggieville/Ft. Riley direct route, then pick up a load of soldiers and keep "getting lost" and turning around in circles until the bars close and everyone goes home.  Come around 2:30 am, what do you know, the driver remembers how to get to Aggieville.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »
Get a bike.

Or buy a parking pass.

Or live closer to everything.

Besides, where would you try and make this bus route go that there would be enough demand to make it worthwhile?

Would have loved to live in MHK without a car. Impossible to do however since you can't live close to everything in Manhattan.

3 or 4 fixed routes would really solve a lot of problems though.

Anderson/Bluemont route from Tuttle Creek- Scenic Drive.

Center city loop from Poyntz to Kimball, Sunset to Juliette

Sethchild/Ft. Riley Boulevard/Tuttle Creek/Marlatt loop

Maybe another route in there somewhere.

To do it right, it would probably cost $5 million to start up the service with a yearly cost of $500k-$1 million depending on hours/bus size etc.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
Why would anyone in manhattan not have a car?  :kstategrad:

Public transport is for peasants

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »
How much does K-State's unwillingness to pay have to do with building the new parking garage?   :horrorsurprise:

How much is the city's unwillingness to pay due to the fact that townies want students condensed around the university and not dispersed throughout town?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »
A lot of it.  It's comical how much townies either secretly or not-so-secretly hate the students, given what MHK would be without 'em.

:flush: to townies on this one.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
i didn't have a car the entire time i was a student. not that hard. also don't think it has anything to do w/ townies wanted all the students close to ksu. townie nut jobs all got together and voted a bunch of whacko nutjobs onto county commission and now we get to just see stupid things like this. also, if the townie can complain about students and the university and try to get them to do even more for the town than they already do then they will. townie nature 101. they just can't help themselves.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
i didn't have a car the entire time i was a student. not that hard. also don't think it has anything to do w/ townies wanted all the students close to ksu. townie nut jobs all got together and voted a bunch of whacko nutjobs onto county commission and now we get to just see stupid things like this. also, if the townie can complain about students and the university and try to get them to do even more for the town than they already do then they will. townie nature 101. they just can't help themselves.

Question, rd.

Do Manhattan townies wish Manhattan had more or less than 30K in population?  My feeling was that true townies wanted to make Manhattan a really, really small Mayberry like town.  I could be wrong though.  I only lived there for four years.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »

Question, rd.

Do Manhattan townies wish Manhattan had more or less than 30K in population?  My feeling was that true townies wanted to make Manhattan a really, really small Mayberry like town.  I could be wrong though.  I only lived there for four years.

If so, their dream is about to get a serious crap laid on it thanks to the Fed Govt.